DSHS Community Services Office

This government agency provides federally funded economic support to low-income people in order to meet basic needs through cash grants, food, and medical assistance, employment-focused services, and subsidized child care. Major programs include Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and WorkFirst (Washington’s Welfare to Work program); Basic Food (formerly the Food Stamp Program); Aged, Blind, or Disabled; Pregnant Women’s Assistance; Refugee Cash Assistance; Working Connections Child Care; and Medical assistance. See below for more detailed program information.  

Almost all of DSHS services can be applied for or renewed online and via phone. The online process is often much faster and less stressful than going to the service office in person. 


Walk-in services are available from 8 am - 5 pm Monday through Friday. Clients who check in by 2 pm will be served on the same day. Lobby Navigators are available to assist customers with routine items such as paperwork drop off. Online services are available until 5 pm, and limited public computer access is available in DSHS office lobbies.

Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm. Same Day Application Services: Monday - Friday 8am - 2pm

  • Apply for benefits or submit documents

  • Before 2 pm: Interview for cash or food (application/eligibility review/mid-certification review)

  • Food Applicants under age 60 will need to do an in person recertification.

  • Faxing an applications with all necessary documents is the fastest way to get a application and recertification processed. Fax expenses can be reimbursed (there is also a document drop box at the office)

  • Report changes for any existing benefits

  • Access to Working Connections Child Care services via phone or online

  • WorkFirst/Social Services Case Management

Highest volume times are between the hours of 11 am and 2 pm on Mondays and on the first and last three workdays of the month.  Clients calling during these times may experience delays.

Call DSHS to:

  • Get information & report changes for any existing benefits

  • Apply for and Review child care assistance

  • Before 2 pm: Interview for cash or food (application/eligibility review/mid-certification review)

  • Call volume is high, all callers should make sure to call before 1pm to ensure that an agent is reached before 2pm. (Callers can also leave a message to request a call back)

  • Applicants over age 60 can ask for a waver to complete recertification by mail and or phone

  • Request an EBT replacement card

  • Access the automated Answer Phone system 24 hours a day

EBT Issuance: Monday - Friday from 10 am - 2 pm. Note: EBT card replacement is by mail only. Call 1-888-328-9271 to have a replacement card mailed.


Washington Basic Food Program 

The Washington State Basic Food Program is often referred to as “food stamps” or “SNAP.” The goal of this program is to reduce hunger and malnutrition by providing people with financial help to buy groceries. At this time, 12.5% of Washington residents participate in the Basic Food Program. It is best to fill out the application and provide copies of the most recent Bank statement, Pay stub/invoice (proof of income), Utility Bills, and Rental expenses. For new applications a Drivers license or State ID, Social Security card and Passport (or proof of Citizenship) is required. There is a program that will allow legal residence to apply for food assistance but that process may require more information.

  • Emergency Food Assistance: If you have very little money and are in need of food, you may qualify for emergency food assistance. If you meet expedited guidelines and are eligible for food assistance, your assistance will be available within seven days of your application's receipt at your Community Services Office.

Medical Assistance Programs
Help with health care and medical expenses. Spenddown: is the amount of medical expenses you must incur within a specified period of time to qualify for Medically Needy benefits. Spenddown is required only if your income exceeds program limits. You must incur medical expenses equal to the excess amount (spenddown) before health care coverage may be authorized. Spenddown is like an insurance deductible.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

(TANF) provides temporary cash for families in need and benefits are based on family size and income. Families can also participate in the WorkFirst Program. The WorkFirst Program helps participants find and keep jobs. Persons who are caring for a relative's child, or legal guardians or are acting in the place of a parent are also able to apply for TANF benefits on behalf of these children through the Non-Needy Relative, In Loco Parentis and Legal Guardian Program. Persons who are residents of Washington State and are ineligible for TANF solely because of eligibility changes due to the Welfare Reform Act may be eligible for State Family Assistance (SFA). Persons who are eligible for the TANF program may also qualify for our Diversion Cash Assistance. Families who chose this program can get help with living expenses when a family needs short term assistance and meets program requirements.

Aged, Blind or Disabled Cash Assistance Program (ABD)
Cash help for Aged, Blind or Disabled people. Individuals who are age 65 and over, blind or disabled who meet income and resource requirements. There are three types of health care coverage offered through the Aged, Blind and Disabled Medical Programs. They are: Categorically Needy Program (CN); and Medically Needy Program with no spenddown (MN); and Medically Needy with spenddown. If you have income at or below the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) income standard, you may be eligible for CN coverage. If you have income over the SSI income standard, you may be eligible for MN with spenddown. The programs resource limits are $2,000 for an individual and $3,000 for couples. Before income is compared they will allow income deductions. Additional information about aged, blind and disabled programs is available at Health Care Authority website.

Child Care Subsidy Programs (CCSP)
Help for working families to pay for child care through either Working Connections Child Care or Seasonal Child Care. The Working Connections Child Care program pays for child care subsidies to eligible households with parents who are working or are participating in a DSHS approved work activity at the time of application and whose children meet citizenship requirements. The Seasonal Child Care program pays for child care subsidies to eligible seasonally employed agricultural families who live in designated counties and are not receiving TANF benefits.

Child Support Services
Help in getting child support. Go to the Division of Child Support web site for more information, (DCS) is the state agency that administers state and federal laws. DCS helps families by: Establishing child support obligations, Collecting and processing child support payments & Reviewing and modifying child support obligations

DSHS Emergency Programs
Programs that help in emergency situations. If you have a medical emergency, they have a medical program to help. A financial worker can explain more about the eligibility requirements of the medical programs provided by DSHS.

Housing and Essential Needs: The (HEN) Referral program provides access to essential needs items and potential rental assistance for low-income individuals who are unable to work for at least 90 days due to a physical and/or mental incapacity and are ineligible for Aged, Blind, or Disabled (ABD) cash assistance. Provide non-cash housing and other assistance. DSHS/CSD determines eligibility for the referral to the HEN program, actual eligibility for rental assistance and essential needs items is determined by the Department of Commerce through homeless prevention service providers.HEN may include: Limited rent and utility assistance; Move in costs; Personal health and hygiene items; Cleaning supplies; and Transportation assistance

Pregnant Women Assistance Program (PWA): is a state funded program that provides cash assistance to low-income pregnant individuals who are not eligible for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or State Family Assistance (SFA) program for a reason other than not cooperating with TANF program rules. This program provides a maximum monthly cash grant of $197.

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA): The Program helps refugees by providing cash and medical assistance (Refugee Medical Assistance program) during their first eight months in the U.S. Persons who entered the United States with an immigration status that allows them to receive refugee benefits are eligible for RCA and RMA benefits as long as they meet other eligibility requirements


DSHS Campus
840 N Broadway Ave Suite 200,     
Everett, WA 98201
Main Phone: 1-877-501-2233
(Phone services from 8am - 5pm, Monday-Friday)

Bus Information for this location:

Everett Transit

  • 7- North to college station

  • 29- North to college station

  • 17- North to college station

  • Para Transit also available

All of the information provided on this page comes from the DSHS Community Services Office website & the banner image above is from Google Maps.