Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA)

The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs helps connect veterans and their family members to the benefits and services they earned through their military service. The Central Office is located in Olympia and includes a Veterans Service Center as well as administrative support for all agency programs. WDVA offers long-term care in four State Veteran Homes (the Washington Soldiers Home, the Washington Veterans Home, the Spokane Veterans Home, and the Walla Walla Veterans Home) for honorably discharged veterans, and in some cases, their spouses. The Veterans Services and Behavioral Health Divisions provide claims assistance as well as counseling services for veterans and their family members.  And State Veterans Cemetery honors veterans in their final resting place. Explore the website linked below.

Counseling and Wellness

The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs maintains a one-of-a-kind, state-funded outreach/counseling program designed to provide confidential counseling services to Washington State veterans and family members. 

Veterans Conservation Corps Program

The Veterans Conservation Corps Program provides meaningful training and volunteer opportunities for veterans. Contact: Jason Alves 1-800-562-2308, 360-725-2224, jasona@dva.wa.gov, vcc@dva.wa.gov. Areas of focus:

  1. The Veterans Conservation Corps (VCC)
    The VCC provides opportunities for veterans to connect with nature in their own way while restoring Washington’s natural resources.   
    Opportunities include:

    • Stream restoration & monitoring; Re-vegetation of native plants; Restoration of watersheds, forests, prairies or native grasslands; Office or clerical duties; and Environmental or community education; Participation in the South Sound Veterans Partnership; Participation in the NOAA/VCC Fisheries Veterans Internship Pilot Program; Development of the Veterans Farm at Orting.  

  2. Higher Education via Vet Corps: The WDVA Vet Corps is funded through an AmeriCorps grant. Vet Corps members are stationed at many colleges throughout the state. Vet Corps members help veterans achieve their higher education goals.

  3. Veterans Farm at Orting : The Veterans Farm will focus on teaching veterans interested in agricultural industries how to thrive.  There will be several plots available for veterans transitions to explore farming as a future.

  4. Veterans Peer Corps: The Veterans Peer Corps gives veterans places to gather, share experiences and stories, heal together, and ultimately create a sense of a Veteran Community within their own community.

  5. Internships

  6. Agri-preneur Business Planning Program: Research-based approach to business planning for food- and farm-based entrepreneurs in the South Puget Sound. Whether you are just starting your business or have been in business for a while, this Program will help you learn how to reach your financial goals for the future by using sound business planning concepts and tools tailored specifically to small farm and food-based entrepreneurs. You will learn vital skills for running a successful small farm or food-processing business with:

    • A comprehensive business planning process; Excellent instructors and quality materials; Technical assistance, and peer support; Access to credit for your small enterprise; Guest speakers will include local buyers (restaurants and stores), Washington State Department of Agriculture, and successful business owners.

Employment: If you need help along the way, just contact benefits@dva.wa.gov or contact a veterans employment representative at your local WorkSource Office.

Housing Resources

Some Veterans experiencing financial hardship may be unaware of the programs and services available to help them avoid foreclosure, even for home loans not guaranteed by VA. Please call (877) 827-3702 to reach your nearest VA Regional Loan Center, or you may visit our web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/ to obtain information about the VA Home Loan program. Additionally, Veterans who feel they may be facing homelessness as a result of losing their home can go to http://www.va.gov/HOMELESS/NationalCallCenter.asp, or call (877) 424-3838 to receive immediate assistance from VA. In addition to the resources offered by VA, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers assistance to homeowners by sponsoring local housing counseling agencies. To find an approved agency in your area, please search online at http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfmor call HUD’s interactive voice system at (800) 569-4287. Washington State Foreclosure Fairness Act Effective July 22, 2011. Washington is Third Non-Judicial Foreclosure State to offer Mediation